While the Wii U was nowhere as much of a hit as the Wii that preceded it or the Switch that succeeded it, the console still has a good deal of titles worth playing which prompted the development of the Cemu emulator. In this article, we’re going to look at the public release of Cemu 1.21.4 which fixes some Vulkan issues, improves audio while also fixing graphics in How To Survive among other things!
What is Cemu?
As the introduction suggests, Cemu is a Wii U emulator for PCs running Windows allowing one to more easily enjoy various notable titles for this ill-fated console such as Mario Kart 8, Zelda Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Maker. Having system requirements much lower than Switch emulators such as Yuzu & Ryujinx, this emulator has become popular in the emulation community for those wanting to play recent Nintendo exclusives without having the latest hardware on hand as it can provide good results even on mid-to-high-end computers from over half a decade ago!
Other than simply providing good performance and a high degree of compatibility, Cemu also has some unique features of its own such as graphics packs which allow for various community-made resolution hacks, graphics enhancements, tweaks and much more. Furthermore, a good deal of input methods are supported including the Wii U’s Pro Controller allowing for more natural gameplay if one’s using a more classic controller such as the DualShock 3 or 4.
What does Cemu 1.21.4 bring along?
While Cemu 1.21.4 isn’t a major update, it does pack in a bit of punch with its changelog stating that:
- Some fixes to the Vulkan renderer were performed which eliminate random texture corruption on older Nvidia GPUs (GeForce 900 series and older)
- How To Survive, a survival horror title, no longer displays broken graphics in both the Vulkan & OpenGL renderer
- The emulator’s audio capabilities also received some improvements with audio timing being tweaked to improve audio stability while looping for specific ADPCM voices is now handled correctly
- Garbled textures in Duck Tales & Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon have been fixed
- The memory searcher tool has been improved as it now supports multi-threading and searching of all memory areas
To get Cemu 1.21.4, you may follow the link below which contains the download link. To support Wii U emulation efforts, you may donate to Team Cemu on Patreon which grants you access to new releases a week before they are released.
Cemu 1.21.4 download link: http://cemu.info/#download
Team Cemu’s Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/cemu