For a pretty long time since the PSVita got hacked back in 2016, one of homebrew community’s most popular demands was a Nintendo 64 emulator. Then, in May of this year, a functional DaedalusX64 port that was able to play many of the console’s popular titles was released and now, version 0.6 is out with some pretty significant improvements!
What is DaedalusX64?
As the title suggests, DaedalusX64 is a Nintendo 64 emulator that saw its way onto the PlayStation Vita earlier this year thanks to efforts by Rinnegatamante and MasterFeizz among others. Based on the 3DS version of the emulator, the PlayStation Vita version contains an ARMv7 dynamic recompiler that is key to providing a pleasant experience in various titles including the ever-popular Super Mario 64, Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Mario Kart 64 among others. Other than simply providing good performance, DaedalusX64 for the Vita comes with a touch-screen supporting interface based upon ImGUI, the ability to use save states, an implementation of vFlux (similar to f.lux), support for bi-linear filtering and more.
Furthermore, an official compatibility list for the emulator, based on community reports, is also maintained and can be found here. This list mentions that over 220 games are playable as of writing this article with a little under 250 titles getting in-game or being unplayable.
What does DaedalusX64 0.6 bring along?
DaedalusX64 0.6, which was released yesterday, is a pretty significant update to the emulator performance-wise with its release post mentioning:
- Various improvements to the dynamic recompiler have been implemented which made some titles progress from being unplayable performance-wise to running at full-speed!
- These improvements were originally implemented in the Nintendo 3DS version by cmf028 but then, TheFlow ported them to the PlayStation Vita
- The improvements include optimisation to various instructions, making code double-buffered, adding some missing instructions and more
- A Russian translation was added by nekita13
- A Turkish translation was added by rewold20
- A Vita-specific issue was fixed in which DaedalusX64 crashed when being opened from other applications presumably homebrew launchers
- Not setting “Wait Rendering Done” no longer causes graphics to get corrupted in some titles
- Some other stuff including the nightly updater being separated from the stable releases updater and more
You may grab DaedalusX64 0.6 for the Vita by following the link below to its VitaDB download page. More information on the update can be obtained from the PSX-Place or GitHub links below.
DaedalusX64 0.6 VitaDB Download Page: https://vitadb.rinnegatamante.it/#/info/549
DaedalusX64 0.6 GitHub Release Page (change log + alternative download link): https://github.com/Rinnegatamante/DaedalusX64-vitaGL/releases
DaedalusX64 0.6 PSX-Place release post (more information): https://www.psx-place.com/threads/daedalus-x64-n64-emulator.30222/#post-269538
Rinnegatmanate’s Patreon (financial support): https://www.patreon.com/Rinnegatamante